The Ministry of Works and Transport is pleased to announce that works on the Morvant to Maritime Roundabout Road Infrastructure Project is approximately 45% complete.
This project which is being executed by the Programme for Upgrading Roads Efficiency (P.U.R.E.) Unit spans from the Lady Young Avenue, off Lady Young Road, to the Maritime Roundabout.
The following is an update on the progress of works to date:
1. Package 1: Between Maritime Roundabout and the Priority Bus Route - 58% Completed
2. Package 2: Between the Priority Bus Route and the Eastern Main Road - Bridge Reconstruction - 12% Completed
3. Package 3: Between the Eastern Main Road and Lady Young Avenue - 65% Completed
Major deliverables of this project which will have positive and far-reaching impact on fenceline communities include:
Rehabilitation of the existing roadway to include four (4) lanes of traffic (two in either direction) from the Lady Young Avenue to the Maritime Roundabout;
- Widening and rehabilitation of the three intersections - Morvant Junction, Priority Bus Route and Maritime Roundabout to facilitate required turning movements;
- The full reconstruction of the bridge south of Morvant Junction to facilitate the required lanes of traffic and the anticipated volume of water during excessive rainfall;
- Rehabilitation of the Maritime Plaza Exit to facilitate the required turning radii and acceleration lane lengths ; and
- Rehabilitation and full construction of pedestrian sidewalks, lay-bys and drainage channels.
Extensive works have been undertaken across all three packages and include installation of drainage channels, pedestrian sidewalks, culvert crossings, a bailey bridge, gabion baskets and road widening works. WASA has also completed almost 80% of its relocation works under this project.
For both motorists and residents who have experienced years of perennial flooding, land slippages and unabated traffic congestion, the completion of this project provides much needed relief by creating more fluid connections between communities, promoting safer travel and reducing travel times to bring about greater levels of productivity and a higher quality of life for all.