The Reconstruction of Bridge B 1in1 Coblentz Avenue, St Ann's
The Bridges Reconstruction Programme will provide for the reconstruction and improvement of approximately 62 bridges throughout Trinidad. The Programme will be executed in a number of Phases, Phase I of which is currently in progress and consists of the design and reconstruction of 25 structures.
On January 12th 2014, the BLT launched its Phase I programme of works on twenty-one (21) bridges which included the :-
BRIDGE B1/1 COBLENTZ AVE, ST. ANNS
Bridge B1/1 Coblentz Avenue is a single span steel beam bridge with a reinforced concrete deck and metal pan decking. It is supported on reinforced concrete abutments. The bridge currently only allows for one (1) lane of traffic and is a point of congestion Surveys conducted at the site found that there was significant deterioration of bridge structure. Defects included:
Rotting of steel deck
Corrosion of steel beams
- Cracking/Splitting abutments
Work on the structural deficiencies began on March 9th, 2015 and is expected to take place over a twelve (12) month period at a cost of $14,911,441.77
The contractor for this project is Daleem General Contracting Ltd while the design and construction supervisory Engineer is BBFL Caribbean Limited.
SCOPE OF WORKS: BRIDGE RECONSTRUCTION
- Widening of bridge at junction of St Ann's Road and Cascade Road. A culvert extension would be constructed adjacent to the existing beam bridge.
- Fabricate, erect and install pedestrian walkway north of existing bridge
- Demolition of old and reconstruction of new bridge
- The new bridge is being constructed in the original location of the existing bridge
- The new bridge consists of a single span bridge 20m long with seven (7) precast pre-stressed AASHTO Type III beams.
- There will be two (2) lanes each 3.5m wide with a sidewalk each side approx. 1.15m.
- The bridge will be supported on spread foundation
- Road works
- River works includes mass concrete lining along the channel sides and riverbed with gabion wall to protect river banks.
- Improved traffic flow with the two (2) lane bridge replacing the existing single lane steel beam bridge.
- Before reconstruction works can commence, there is utility infrastructure to be relocated at the bridge site. The scope of works for WASA (Water and Sewer), T&TEC, TSTT and FLOW relocations have been identified and the utility companies have been paid to relocate their infrastructure. The schedule for relocations is currently being coordinated.
The bridge would be closed to vehicular traffic for the duration of the project. A detour route via Cascade Road has been designated; however, this detour requires an upgrade to accommodate the increased traffic volume. The bridge at junction of St Ann's Road and Cascade Road would be widened to allow for a smoother traffic flow. These works would be completed prior to the demolition of the existing bridge.
- Pedestrian access would be maintained at this site for the duration of the project; therefore, a pedestrian bridge would have to fabricate and erected prior to the demolition of the existing bridge.