The Coastal Protection Unit's mandate is to provide short to medium solutions to address coastal erosion and coastal inundation (flooding) at critical areas along Trinidad’s shoreline as well as to develop long term solutions to address coastal erosion and coastal inundation (flooding) along Trinidad’s shoreline, with a focus on shoreline management.
SCOPE OF WORKS
* The construction of 252 linear meters of vinyl sheet pile seawall along the alignment of the original seawall of the beach facility;
* The construction of 252 linear meters of concrete capping;
* The Installation of 252 linear meters of FRP safety railings;
* The Reconstruction of access ramp and stairs, and landscaping.
* The Manzanilla Beach Facility is located on the east coast. The main objective of the project is to provide stability along the length of the coastline of the Manzanilla Beach Facility which was destabilized by the effects of coastal erosion and wave overtopping of the original seawall.
BENEFITS OF THE PROJECTS
* Preservation of the only beach facility along the eastern seaboard;
* Ensuring sustainability of the use of coastal community space, tourism-related economic activities, tourisms infrastructure, public communication lines, public utilities and other assets are the key benefits of the project.