SCOPE OF WORKS
The project’s scope includes the following:
- Full reconstruction of the B 1/24 bridge to facilitate a higher volume of water and two 3.3m wide lanes of traffic heading north and south;
- Slope protection works inclusive of gabion baskets, reno mattresses and a vetiver system within the river channel;
- Construction of associated drainage systems, both surface and subsurface where required;
- Road rehabilitation on the bridge as well as 50m before and after the bridge.
- With extra savings on the contract, the contractor was able to supply and place 135cu.m of boulders along the paria main road.
PROJECT BENEFITS TO THE COMMUNITY
- Facilitates a free flow of traffic, less risky turns and transitions onto the bridge to safely accommodate traffic to and from Grand Toco, Grand Riviere, Sand Souci, Matelot, and environs;
- Introduction of new drainage channels to alleviate excess water on the roadway;
- Improvement to the bridge’s hydraulic capacity during heavy rainfall events;
- Employment opportunities were created for the community during the construction phase of the project;
- Prevention of further erosion along the Paria Main Road.