The Motor Vehicles and Road Traffic Act Chapter 48:50 has undergone some extensive changes to allow Transport Division to provide better service to the motorists in Trinidad & Tobago. This revised legislation modernises the present traffic ticketing system by:
- Decriminalising a wide range of traffic offences into traffic violations;
- Providing new platforms for the payment of traffic fines such as cashless transactions;
- Introducing new and convenient payment locations;
- Providing greater convenience and options for the payment of traffic tickets;
- Providing law enforcement officers with greater connectivity and instant access to data; and
- Reducing the backlog of pending cases before the Traffic Courts.
This system seeks to improve outdated procedures and practices for road traffic law enforcement using modern technology – a software management system called the U-Turn System.