On Friday 20th November 2020, the Ministry of Works and Transport commissioned the Water Taxi Pedestrian Overpass. Due to the demand for pedestrian road safety from Wrightson Road to the Brian Lara Promenade for persons who regularly utilize the Water Taxi, the inter-island ferry, occupants from the Waterfront Towers and visitors from cruise ships, a pedestrian overpass was deemed necessary.
The Scope of Works included:
- Construction of reinforced concrete access ramps for persons with disabilities,
- Installation of elevators,
- Construction of structural steel staircases,
- Fabrication and erection of a 39.6 metre structural steel truss,
- Installation of lighting infrastructure,
- Installation of handrails and;
- Landscaping and beautification works.
This impressive structure was a collaborative initiative of the Ministry’s Programme for Upgrading Road Efficiency (PURE) Division and Urban Development Corporation of Trinidad and Tobago (UDECOTT).
This overpass serves as a progressive step toward sustainable urban development in the capital city of Port of Spain.