What We Do
The key departments of the Programme for Upgrading Roads Efficiency Unit are as follows:
- Draughting Department
- P.U.R.E. Surveying Department
- The Health, Safety and Environment Department
- The P.U.R.E. Laboratory
- The Outcomes and Research Unit
- The Project Management Support Unit
The Programme for Upgrading Roads Efficiency Unit is responsible for undertaking six work categories aligned to the Unit's strategic objectives:
IMPLEMENTING TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT MEASURES
- The expansion of existing infrastructure to enhance road capacity and accessibility, prevent traffic congestion and improve the safety of drivers and pedestrians.
PROVIDING ALTERNATIVE ACCESS ROUTES
- PURE plans and constructs alternative access around road construction sites to minimize traffic congestion through central business districts.
REINSTATING AND STABILIZING FAILED SLOPES
- The PURE Unit works is responsible for slope stabilization to ensure the linkages between communities.
IMPROVING EXISTING ROAD INFRASTRUCTURE
- Through the implementation of a strategic road rehabilitation programme, it is anticipated that at least 80% of the Ministry’s road network will be upgraded to provide optimal service. Simultaneously, the upgrade of local government and orphaned roads will ensure a consistent road connectivity throughout the nation.
- The PURE unit has consistently undertaken the planning, design, construction and repairs of national bridges and road network in keeping with its mandate.
CONSTRUCTING PEDESTRIAN OVERPASSES
- The PURE Unit is responsible for constructing pedestrian overpasses to keep all road users safe.