TRANSFER OF THE OWNERSHIP OF A MOTOR VEHICLE OTHER THAN BY DEATH REQUIREMENTS :
- On application for a change of ownership, the registered owner and the new owner shall complete the APPLICATION FOR TRANSFER OF VEHICLE REGISTRATION Form and submit it together with the following documents:
- A valid Certificate of Insurance in the new owner’s name, except in those cases specified by the Licensing Authority.
- Receipt of the tax invoice of sale.
- Two Forms of Identification. An Identification Card and Driver’s Permit or a valid Passport of both the owner and buyer (where the new owner is the holder of a Driver’s Permit): This is not applicable to companies.
In the event that a company wishes to carry out the transfer of a motor vehicle, the Director/Sole Trade/Partner (1) of the company should provide written authorization addressed to the Transport Commissioner for his or her representative(s) of the company to act on their behalf to either purchase or sell the motor vehicle (s).
It is permissible for one person to represent both Companies.
Where a company is involved in a transfer of a vehicle, the following are required:
- Letter of Authorization addressed to the Transport Commissioner.
- Letters of Authorization must be done on a Company’s Letterhead
- Letter of Authorization must be endorsed and stamped by either of the following:
- Sole Trader
- Partner – One representative
- Receipt must be signed by the authorizing Director/Sole Trader/Partner (1)
- IDs for both Directors/Sole Trader/Partner – Copy of IDs must be signed by the holder
- Certificate of Incorporation/Certificate of Registration
- Notice of Directors (if applicable)
- Company stamp to be affixed to the Transfer Form
VEHICLE TRANSFER IF THE REGISTERED OWNER IS ILL OR DISABLED
In the event that the registered owner of a motor vehicle is ill or disabled and cannot come into the Licensing Office, a written request must be submitted to the Transport Commissioner along with supporting medical correspondence to verify the severity of the illness. Once approved, a fee of $100.00 should be paid for this service. Licensing Officers will then be assigned to visit the given address to verify identification cards and the vehicle, where possible.
VEHICLE TRANSFER IF THE REGISTERED OWNER IS OVERSEAS
In the event that the registered owner of the motor vehicle is overseas, a sworn affidavit or declaration notarized by a Notary Public which indicates that the owner is out of the country must be submitted to effect the transfer. The original affidavit or declaration and Transfer Form must be presented. Copies of the owner's identification will be accepted.
Transfer Fees Motor Vehicles Change of Ownership of Motor Vehicle
• Less than 2 years -$ 6000.00
• Over 2 to 5 years - $ 4500.00
• Over 5 to 7 years - $ 3000.00
• Over 7 to 10 years- 1350.00
• Over 10 years Plus - $ 150.00
Transfer Tax Motorcycles - $150.00
• Motorcycles up to 250cc- $ 300.00
• Motorcycles above 250cc- $ 10.00
Plus Transfer Tax - $ 200.00
• Transfer fine * Transfer tax is added to each transfer